Open Until Filled
Job Class: Data Scientist
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain PAG’s travel demand and/or relevant dynamic traffic assignment, land-use, and air quality models in generating and interpreting travel forecasts and related statistics for the short- and long-range transportation plans (TIP and RMAP) and other special studies.
- Perform programming and script writing for the transportation planning process, including R-script, Python, C++, GISDK.
- Perform analysis and management of travel and traffic data sets and transportation model applications and maintenance.
- Assist in data collection and analysis for transportation planning and modeling.
- Prepare meeting agendas and summaries.
- Communicate effectively orally, in writing and graphically.
- Represent PAG at various meetings and conferences related to regional planning.
- Possess basic knowledge, education and experience in multimodal travel demand modeling and forecasting.
- Possess basic knowledge of transportation planning, traffic engineering, statistical and mathematical methods as well as federal transportation planning requirements.
- Possess ability to effectively manage time, materials, and data.
- May not be eligible for telework based on the nature of the position and at the sole discretion of PAG based on organizational needs.
- Perform related work as required.
Minimum Education and/or Experience Requirements:
At a minimum, requires a combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform duties and either a graduate degree in a related field with one year of experience, OR an undergraduate degree with three years of related experience, or equivalent. Preferred major course work in transportation planning, statistics, computer science or a related field.
Strong knowledge of and/or experience with one or more of the following:
- Travel demand modeling software such as TransCAD and its associated scripting language.
- Programming language and debugging capability such as Python, C++, R-script, and SQL
- Statistical analysis software such as R-script or SPSS.
- Spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software such as MS Office
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear; to see, interpret and respond to graphical data displayed on a computer monitor. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to drive to locations and participate in meetings and events.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essentials functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee is required to carry promotional materials to events.